Managing Editor, www.smallbusinesscomputing.com
McAfee.com, a provider of Web security services, announced the launch of its McAfee.com SecurityCenter, a new service comprised of a free set of security tools designed to alert, inform and protect Internet users, as well as access to free trials to security solutions. The SecurityCenter may benefit consumers and small businesses by determining their vulnerability.
The most prominent feature of the SecurityCenter is a free set of security tools directly accessed through its interface. These tools include the following:
- My Security Index is a numeric indicator that illustrates the current security state of a user's PC. Based on the installation of up-to-date security products on the PC and on changing external circumstances such as a virus outbreak, the My Security Index calculates an overall security score. A score of "10" indicates the highest security rating, while a score of "2" indicates a potentially serious security vulnerability. The index also displays scores of three sub-indices: anti-virus, anti- hacker and anti-abuse.
- Security Alert is a real-time emergency communication system that warns users of virus outbreaks and other security-related threats through pop-up alert messages. These alert messages should provide users with direct links to learn more about the threats and to receive protection from them.
- Hacker Vulnerability Scanner is a tool that inspects common Internet ports including HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and SMTP on a user's PC to determine if they are secured or unsecured.
- World Virus Map is a real-time, interactive view of virus activity around the world. Users can select a country, state, city or particular virus and view the extent of infected computers and files.
- Virus Information Library is an online encyclopedia containing information on over 50,000 known viruses, Trojans, worms and hoaxes. This online reference tool features a description of the virus as well as removal instructions when available.
Pricing & Availability
The McAfee.com SecurityCenter is initially being offered free of charge and is currently available to PC users using Windows 9x, ME, 2000 and XP. Users can download the SecurityCenter at www.mcafee.com. The newly enhanced McAfee.com services are currently available for purchase to all Windows 9x, ME, 2000 and XP users. VirusScan Online is currently available for $29.95 (USD) per year, Personal Firewall for $29.95 per year, and Privacy Service for $29.95 per year. For further information, please visit www.mcafee.com