Just because a business is small doesn't mean it does a small business. Plenty of companies with fewer than 20 employees generate thousands of printed pages and demand big performance and capability when it comes to in-house printing.
It's exactly these companies the ones with high-volume, professional-quality print needs that Xerox has its eye on with two new printers: the Phaser 7760 color laser and the WorkCentre 7132 color multifunction.
Xerox created the Phaser 7760 for design firms and other graphic arts oriented companies or small businesses that handle all their printing needs in-house. "The Phaser 7760 appeals to a range of companies such as ad agencies and consulting firms for example," said Ken Knepper, a Xerox product manager.
"It's an excellent choice for small firms that present business proposals to big companies and require a very professional look." He added that they sell a majority of this class of product to companies with fewer than 20 employees.
The company points to the 7760's color print speed as a selling point in terms of maintaining office productivity. "Eight out of 10 people in an office print in monochrome," said Knepper. "If the two other people are printing in color, it can tie up the printer, leaving everyone else waiting around. The 7760 outputs color quickly and won't tie up the other workers."
The 7760's base model offers the following features:
- Print speed: 45 ppm in black and white; 35 ppm in color; Color permission lets you limit access to color printing
- First page out: As fast as 9 seconds in color; 6 seconds in black and white
- Duty cycle: Up to 150,000 pages per month
- Duplex printing: Yes
- Resolution: 1200 by 1200 dpi
- Processor: 800MHz
- Memory: 512MB/1GB
- Networking: Ethernet 10/100/1000 Base-TX; USB 2.0
- Hard drive: 40GB (minimum)
- Print features: Custom size pages, booklet printing, banner-size printing, smart Trays, print with, PDF Direct, extended font storage, job collation
- Finishing options:
Advanced finisher: 50-sheet multi-position stapling, 3-hole punch, up to 3,500 sheets.
Professional finisher: 50-sheet multi-position stapling, 3-hole punch, saddle-stitch booklet making, v-folding, up to 2,000 sheets
|High Volume Xerox aims its Phaser 7760 color laser printer at small businesses with big print needs.|
This is a serious color laser printer, and it comes with a serious price tag. The base model starts at $6,299 and, after adding all the options, extra paper trays and memory upgrades, the line tops out at $7,699.
"Companies typically use this class of product anywhere from three to five years, which -- for the base model -- works out to $2,099 to $1,260 per year. Depending on your company's print volume, its a reasonable investment. If you're printing 1,000 pages a week, it's cheaper to buy the printer than it is to outsource," said Knepper.
The WorkCentre 7132
Beyond the hardware specs, the 7132 is designed to help with office management and work flow. The printer includes access to Xerox Standard Accounting, Web-based software that, according to the company, tracks the printer's usage and then generates reports that show the scanning, faxing, printing and copying activity of each worker. "The tracking and reporting capability can help office managers determine how much to charge internal departments or to bill external clients," said Marks.
|Color-Capable Xerox designed the WorkCentre 7132 for companies looking for high-volume value and a splash of color.|
Marks also said that the printer makes electronic workflow much easier by automatically sending scanned documents to multiple locations at the same time. "Scanning has become very popular, and it's almost replacing faxes," he said. "The 7132 lets you scan a document and send it out via e-mail, save it to the file server and then print a couple of copies, just by pushing two buttons."
The 7132's base model offers the following features:
- Print speed: Up to 32ppm black and white; 8ppm in color
- Print first page out: As fast as 16 seconds black and white; 27 seconds color
- Duty cycle: Up to 100,000 images per month
- Paper handling: Bypass tray: 100 sheets; Tray 1: 520 sheets
- Resolution: 1200 by 600 dpi
- Networking: 10/100 BaseT Ethernet, USB 2.0; optional Wi-Fi (via third party vendor)
- Print features: Secure print, delay print, sample set, booklet creation, cover selection, paper selection by attribute, multi-up, watermark, annotation, banner sheets, poster, fit to new paper size, transparency interleave, output tray selection, store and recall driver settings, color balance and controls
- Copy first page out: As fast as 6.9 seconds black and white; 18.1 seconds color
- Copy resolution: 600 by 600 dpi
- Copy features: Automatic two-sided, electronic pre-collation, automatic tray selection, build job, negative/mirror image, automatic booklet creation, multi-up, auto RE, mixed-size originals, auto registration, covers insertion, sample set, bound copying, store and recall job programming, annotation, auto color selection, area designation, poster mode, watermark
Xerox's entry-level multifunction printer will be available in June, and it's base price starts at $5,999.
Lauren Simonds is the managing editor of SmallBusinessComputing.com
|Do you have a comment or question about this article or other small business topics in general? Speak out in the SmallBusinessComputing.com Forums. Join the discussion today!|