Managing Editor, www.smallbusinesscomputing.com
McAfee Consumer Products, a division of Network Associates, launched version 7 of McAfee VirusScan Home Edition and VirusScan Professional Edition. The new versions contain improved detection and cleaning methods for viruses and other malicious threats, as well as the inclusion of McAfee Firewall.
The latest versions include Script Stopper, which is designed to prevent infection from spreading viruses. Other enhancements include improvements to McAfee's Hostile Activity Watch Kernel that monitors and protects users from email-based threats, while improved file cleaning.
The New and enhanced features in VirusScan 7.0 include:
- Hostile Activity Watch Kernel (HAWK) Email: HAWK should monitor email for suspicious activity and alert users to take action before damage occurs. In addition to supporting Microsoft Outlook, HAWK has been enhanced to support Outlook Express, Eudora, and other SMTP email clients.
- HAWK Script Stopper: Script Stopper is designed to keep PCs safe from script-initiated threats by detecting and blocking malicious program actions.
- Integrated Personal Firewall: McAfee Firewall should safeguard users' inbound and outbound traffic over the Internet.
- Windows Explorer & Microsoft Office Integration: VirusScan 7.0 should let users scan files and access other VirusScan features directly from Windows Explorer.
- PDA Synchronization Support: By monitoring entry points to a user's computer - including the synchronization process with a PDA -VirusScan 7.0 should provide additional protection.
In addition to the above enhancements for VirusScan Home Edition 7.0, VirusScan Professional Edition 7.0 also includes:
- QuickClean Lite: Frees a system of unwanted files like cache, temporary files, and others that should be removed on a regular basis.
- Secure Data Shredding; VirusScan Professional adds an extra layer of security and privacy for data and files by eliminating all traces of them from a computer.
Pricing and Availability
McAfee's latest updated anti-virus software, VirusScan Home Edition 7.0, is available through retailers nationwide for $49.99. VirusScan Professional Edition 7.0 sells for $59.99. McAfee Firewall, included in both VirusScan Home Edition and Professional Edition, is also sold separately for $29.99. Competitive upgrade rebates will be available on all products to transition new and existing customers to the latest McAfee product line. For more information, please visit the company's web site at http://www.mcafee-at-home.com.