Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq:SYMC) announced its complete line of Internet security and problem solving products designed for Mac OS X.
According to Symantec, the product line will offer users new, easy-to-use Internet security features and problem solving capabilities for the Macintosh platform. Norton Internet Security for Macintosh 2.0 may improve Mac users' online productivity, safety and privacy with the addition of a stealth protection mode, confidential information controls and Internet ad blocking features. Norton SystemWorks for Macintosh 2.0 is the world's first product to allow users to fix disk errors and recover lost files or applications natively on Mac OS X.
New Privacy Control Feature To Safeguard Mac Users' Confidential Data
Symantec's Norton Privacy Control, a new component of Norton Internet Security for Macintosh 2.0, is designed to help users keep track of specified confidential information, like social security and credit card numbers, and control what information leaves their machine over the Internet. Additionally, Norton Privacy Control offers an ad blocking feature that can help improve online speed and performance by blocking most Internet ads and pop-up windows.
In addition to Norton Privacy Control, Norton Internet Security for Macintosh 2.0 will also include:
- Norton Personal Firewall for Macintosh 2.0 with a new stealth mode feature that's designed to make Mac users invisible to hackers online
- Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh 8.0 that features a new interface and scheduling features to provide proactive protection against viruses and other malicious code
- Who's There? Firewall Advisor by OpenDoor Networks provides detailed information on intrusion attempts.
- iClean by Aladdin Systems, for quick removal of cookies, cache and history files to protect a user's privacy.
-Disk Repair and Data Recovery Capabilities Built Natively for Mac OS X
Norton SystemWorks for Macintosh 2.0 should provide solutions to keep Macintosh computers working by solving critical problems and protecting systems from viruses. This software suite will include native Mac OS X disk repair and data recovery capabilities, which should allow users to fix common disk errors and recover lost files or applications. The new version will also feature Norton Scheduler, so users can schedule virus scans and software updates.
Norton SystemWorks for Macintosh 2.0 will include:
- Norton AntiVirus for Macintosh 8.0
- Norton Utilities for Macintosh 7.0, that can recover lost files and erased data as well as recover crashed or accidentally initialized files
- Retrospect Express Backup 5.0 by Dantz, which stores backup files on removable cartridges, DVD-RAM, compatible, CD-R/RW, MO, an external hard drive, or even on a secure site via the Internet
- Spring Cleaning 4.0 by Aladdin Systems, which uninstalls applications and their associated files to regain disk space and sweep away hard-to-find Internet cookies, cache, and history files
- DiskWarrior Recovery Edition by Alsoft, which scavenges hard drives for all files to allow Mac users to recover files and folders with drag and drop convenience
Pricing and Availability
Norton Internet Security for Macintosh 2.0 and Norton SystemWorks for Macintosh 2.0 are available now for an estimated retail price of $99.95 and $129.95, respectively. Current users of Symantec's Macintosh products, as well as users of select competitive products, can take advantage of an upgrade mail-in-rebate of $30 and $50, respectively.